Peeples Industries, Inc. (PII) has more than 50 years of history in the transportation business and remains firmly focused on its core bulk marine terminal operations capable of handling all a customer’s transportation logistics needs from the marine terminal gateway to inland facilities and destinations around the world.
A conversation with Peeples Industries Inc.’s Director of Communications Regina Morgan Labis.
What kinds of services do you offer?
Our range of experience includes bulk and break-bulk, container stevedoring, terminal operations, warehousing, vessel chartering, inland logistics (via truck and rail), materials handling engineering, industrial marine construction and dredging.
Many people don’t know about all your facilities. Tell us a little bit about them.
The Savannah facility operates several companies:
- East Coast Terminal Co. is a fully integrated private dry bulk/liquid bulk non-union marine terminal with direct highway access and Class 1 rail service provided by CSX Transportation.
- East Coast Stevedoring Co. is a dry bulk non-union stevedoring company. We specialize in third-party stevedore operations providing labor and equipment to discharge or load your vessel safely and efficiently.
- Industrial Marine Services, Inc. is a PII affiliate that provides services including terminal management, operations, construction and facilities maintenance. IMSI also provides vessel support services including hydrographic surveying and dredging.
- Georgia Marine Warehouse Company is an affiliate that offers third-party logistics services with a 160,000 square foot multi-purpose warehouse/transload facility with rail service provided by CSX Transportation. Construction is underway for an additional 60,000 square feet.
- Central Equipment Company specializes in leasing and rental of materials handling and marine construction equipment. CEC provides a wide range of dry bulk handling equipment including but not limited to frontend loaders, dozers, single-line remote hydraulic grans, conveyors, hoppers and other specialized marine terminal handling equipment.
- Material Handling & Engineering, Inc. provides engineering and technical support services to transportation and logistics companies. MH&E also designs and markets proprietary cargo handling equipment.
The Charleston facility operates GWMC dba South Carolina Marine Warehouse Company which
offers third-party logistics services with a 90,000 square foot multi-purpose facility with rail service provided by CSX Transportation.
What makes Savannah and the Coastal Georgia region such a vital location for PII?
Being in logistics and transportation, the infrastructure here in terms of the highway and rail systems is second to none. The Savannah River and the major railroad systems provide us with exceptional transportation mediums. The Savanah River is a great resource to us with its access to international waters, while the regional railroads allow us to reach the inland facilities and destinations to service our customers.
In what ways does PII stay innovative and provide exemplary customer service to clients and partners alike?
We believe superior service begins with understanding our customers products and their total supply chain in order to create cost effective logistical support service solutions. Our management philosophy is to continuously improve quality and our services through implementation of advanced material handling solutions coupled with a proactive and experienced support team.
At PII, we place a large value and major emphasis on research and development to not only create new cargo handling equipment and techniques, but also transportation service products and state-of-the-art automated systems to increase efficiency, cost effectiveness and ultimately customer satisfaction.
Peeples has a long history in Savannah. Tell us about your origins.
Peeples Industries, Inc.’s origins date back to 1965 when Frank Peeples founded Southeastern Maritime Co. (SEMCO), a regional vessel agency and stevedoring services provider. In 1977, SEMCO merged into PII forming a financial holding company with several operating divisions providing a wide range of marine terminal and logistic support services for its growing customer base in the U.S. South Atlantic market.
Tell us about your experience with World Trade Center Savannah.
Our mutual interest in economic development has led to a strong complimentary relationship.
The research WTCSav has provided has proven to be invaluable for us. Whether it be researching a new target market or region of interest, or even research on product development, WTCSav always provides in-depth, accurate and useful information. Not to mention the networking opportunities and educational programs they provide.
In fact, back in April 2019, WTCSav hosted a networking event where we had the opportunity to engage with the Georgia’s Department of Economic Development’s trade representatives from across the globe. This opportunity is just one of the many benefits of our partnership.
For any business looking to expand their industry knowledge, network and/or overall local economic impact, we recommend working with WTCSav!
21 E. Broad St.
Savannah, GA, USA 31401